Sunday, July 20, 2014

The very first post: Introduction

Hi everyone! I'm the owner of Sage & Savvy Soap Co., and I started this blog to share all of my many creative pursuits, both soap and non-soap related.




I am a law student, but have always been a very craftsy person, so with the pressure of classes and homework, doing my crafts has been a way to keep sane. With my recent move into a townhome, my student budget has given my an opportunity to think outside the box and create/upcycle/repurpose old furniture into new, chic expression pieces. A list of things you might find featured in this blog at one point or another:

Soap making (though admittedly not as much as other projects)
DIY home decor and furniture projects (anything from building a jewelry holder to recovering a coffee table)
Painting and other traditional methods of artwork
Graphic and/or web design
Jewelry making
Beadwork and Lakota/Native American regalia making
DIY clothing and accessories
Photography
Cooking
Organizing
Possibly some writing/poetry/lyrics and related rants on grammar usage
Music, though that tends to be difficult to express online

Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing in law school with these myriad projects, but really, a lot of what I learn to do is a means to an end. I learned beadwork while I was learning more about my heritage (I am an enrolled member of the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe); I learned about cooking when I was working as a nanny; I learned how to operate a drill when I needed to attach knobs and handles to my cool jewelry holder (stay tuned for a post on it); and so forth.

I often get an image in my head and then do what I need to do to make it come to fruition. I was listening to The Who's Baba O'Riley, which is more commonly known as Teenage Wasteland, and immediately got a painted image in my mind with this words dripping across the front. So I bought some canvases with a Michaels coupon and picked up some acrylic paints on Craigslist, and started painting.

I could go on about these random bugs in my ear that I feel the need to bring to life, but I'll save them for future posts! Welcome to Sage & Savvy: Creative Journals.

No comments:

Post a Comment